About University of Maryland
The University of Maryland is the flagship campus of the state’s higher educational system and a top-ranked public research institution. We are a diverse community of 38,000 students, 9,000 faculty and staff, and 352,000 alumni, all dedicated to the pursuit of Fearless Ideas. Located just outside Washington, D.C., we discover and share new knowledge every day through our renowned research enterprise and programs in academics, the arts and athletics. And we are committed to social entrepreneurship as the nation’s first “Do Good” campus.
History and Mission
The University of Maryland’s proud past stretches back to 1856, when the tiny Maryland Agricultural College was carved from part of Charles Benedict Calvert’s plantation along a dirt road now called U.S Route 1. From its start with 34 students, the institution slowly grew to include engineering and the liberal arts, and to add athletics, women and minorities. It survived the Great Fire of 1912, re-emerged as a public college, and boomed following World War II. Today, the university is a national powerhouse in research and academics, even as it embraces its roots as a land-grant institution.
The mission of the University of Maryland, College Park is to provide excellent teaching, research, and service. The University educates students and advances knowledge in areas of importance to the State, the nation, and the world. The University is committed to being a preeminent national center for research and for graduate education, and the institution of choice for Maryland’s undergraduates of exceptional ability and promise.
Rankings and Fast Facts
public research institution—U.S. News & World Report
most innovative school—U.S. News & World Report
best value college—Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine
entrepreneurship for undergraduates—The Princeton Review/Entrepreneurship magazine
447 study abroad destinations
Students from 50 states and 118 countries
Faculty includes 3 Nobel laureates, 2 Pulitzer Prize winners, 3 Emmy winners and 2 Tony winners
92 Undergraduate Majors, 107 Master's Programs and 83 Doctoral Programs
About the Robert H. Smith School of Business
The Robert H. Smith School of Business is an internationally recognized leader in management education and research. One of 12 colleges and schools at the University of Maryland, College Park, the Smith School offers undergraduate; full-time, part-time, online, and executive MBA; specialty masters; PhD; and executive education programs, as well as outreach services to the corporate community.
MISSION & VALUES
The Smith School's mission is to create knowledge, promote a learning environment that fosters intellectual discovery, and equip current and future leaders to assess complex problems and deliver innovative solutions.
We do the right things, the right way.
· We act with integrity and practice intellectual honesty.
· We treat each other with respect, embracing diversity of viewpoints and values.
· We see beyond our own interests and seek to have a lasting impact on those around us.
We embrace challenges and opportunities.
· We’re passionate about the pursuit of new insights in research.
· We’re fearless about incorporating new methods and ideas into our classrooms.
· We champion intelligent risk-taking and learn from our failures.
We have a collective passion for excellence.
· We make decisions based on rigorous examination of the evidence.
· We practice what we teach in all areas of management.
· We collaborate to create long-term value for our students, our university, our communities and our state.
QUICK FACTS & RANKINGS
At a glance: Who we are, what we do, how we rank
The Smith School
· One of world's premier business schools.
· Recognized leader in management education and research.
· Rich mix of innovative programs.
· Serving students, employers, alumni, business, government, nonprofits.
Where we are
· Campuses: College Park, Baltimore and Rockville, Md.; Washington, D.C., Beijing, China.
· At global center of government, corporate and international power.
What distinguishes us
· World-class faculty and research.
· Experiential, reality-based learning.
· Entrepreneurial spirit.
· Learning community that is determined, supportive, analytical, inspired.
How we rank
· No. 4 master of finance program (Financial Times, 2017)
· No. 9 online MBA program (U.S. News & World Report, 2017)
· No. 9 full-time MBA student satisfaction, U.S. (Bloomberg Businessweek, 2016)
· No. 10 executive MBA program, U.S. (Financial Times, 2016)
· No. 11 PhD program, world (Financial Times, 2014)
· No. 19 part-time MBA program, U.S. (U.S. News & World Report, 2016)
· No. 22 full-time MBA program, U.S. (Financial Times, 2016)
· No. 19 undergraduate program, U.S. (U.S. News & World Report, 2016)
· No. 23 research, world (Financial Times, 2016)
Our notable alumni
THE LOCATION - DC METRO AREA
Location matters: Studying business in the center of global change
If you want to connect to the forces that are transforming the way the world does business, the University of Maryland’s Robert H. Smith School of Business is your gateway.
Located in College Park, Md., eight miles from The White House and downtown Washington, D.C., the Smith School is plugged into a metroplex that is wired to the circuitry of