General Program Questions
What are your major differentiators or your distinctive points?
To summarize, we have the following major differentiators compared with other joint programs in China
1. World-Class Faculty – Learn the cutting- edge business knowledge with world-class faculty known for research excellence. (Ranked 23 for Research, World by Financial Times, 2016)
2. Executive Coaching – One on one personalized consultation for developing the capabilities of high-potential performers.
3. Cohesive Learning Experience – Original US MBA degree and 100% delivered by Smith Faculty in English.
4. Strong Alumni Community – Broad alumni network from various business functions and industries around globe.
5. Competitive Tuition in China – 2/3 of the tuition fee vs. home campus - $83,000 USD
How is the Executive MBA different from the evening or weekend program?
The main differences are in the class characteristics, program structure and program duration.
Class Characteristics: Each cohort is made up of seasoned professionals with broad management experience.
A profile of a current Executive MBA class:
· Average of 16 years of professional experience
· Average age is 38
· Executive and general management, technology, manufacturing, consulting, healthcare, FMCG, financial services, logistics, media are some of the sectors represented.
Program Structure: Executive MBA courses are carefully crafted to cover business problems and concepts from the perspective of high-level company decision makers. The program is made up of three unique but interrelated and interdependent components:
· The Foundation – Smith School’s strong MBA core courses establish a broad functional knowledge framework for participants to build on.
· The Projects – The Action Learning Projects allow participants to tie their learning directly to specific company needs by tackling a real-time problem currently facing the participant's company. Projects focus on Business Problem Solving.
· Mastery – This component covers a range of topic areas related to leadership and management excellence. A formalized leadership development program complete with individualized executive coaching is integrated into the curriculum.
Program Duration: The Executive MBA is completed in 18 months. Participants will receive comprehensive administrative support from executive education staff.
Are there scholarships available?
Yes. The school offers partial merit-based scholarships designed to help executives attain their career and leadership goals. Applicants will be judged on merit and an essay upon submission of complete application for the Executive MBA program. The number of scholarships available per cohort is very limited! Please take actions fast!
Is this an accredited degree I’ll receive?
Yes. The Smith School of Business is accredited by the AACSB (American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business) and your diploma will read Masters of Business Administration.
This diploma could be certified by Ministry of Education, PRC, as this is an approved joint program in partnership with University of International Business and Economics since 2003.
Are all the professors for China Executive MBA program from Smith School U.S.?
Yes. The same faculty that teaches Executive MBA students at home campus in the U.S. will be teaching the Executive MBA course in China. Ranked No. 4 in the world by The Economist, our faculty has both teaching accolades and real-world experience, having held senior management roles in multinational corporations. In addition, influential visiting speakers will participate in special presentations and group discussions.
What kind of access will I have to professors?
All professors will be available through our learning platform CANVAS during the class period of time; or you can reach out to them by email too if you have any questions beyond the class period.
How much of the program is done online?
None of the course is done online. However, some pre-work of certain courses like Accounting, Finance and Data Modeling etc. will be assigned on-line and requested to finish before you physically meet with your professor.
What is the cost of the EMBA Program?
Executive MBA tuition for May 2018 is $83,000 USD. Tuition is all-inclusive and covers all books and required materials, student and administrative fees. It also includes the cost of hotel accommodations, most meals and transportations during the program for the Residency & Graduation week. Students only need to cover their round trip air tickets and US visas.
How is the tuition billed?
Students are billed per credit for each registered semester at a cost of $1,537.04 USD per registered course credit. The tuition is charged by four installments and can be paid to University of Maryland in USD or to University of International Business and Economics in RMB. An electronic payment notification will be sent via email one month before the due date.
How can I learn more about the program?
We strongly encourage the applicants to register for one of our events, including the Smith Executive MBA information sessions, class-visit and the other recruitment events, which are held regularly throughout the year.
The EMBA counselors in the Smith Beijing Office provide one-on-one consultations for prospective applicants. Our EMBA counselors will be best able to answer any program-specific questions.
To register for the earliest available event, or schedule an in-person consultation, please contact us by email at Beijing@rhsmith.umd.edu, or call us at 010-8424-3519.